Thursday, October 7, 2010

Suisse-land again

I feel like every time I update the blog there’s always some huge “must-blog” event or trip that’s taken place. So I wanted to take the time to talk about “normal” life for me here – my studies, my neighborhood, French!, and Swiss culture in general!

French!

Well let me just go ahead and brag to start this off – I have improved SO MUCH at French in the past month and a half. I have come from haltingly stringing words together to full-fledged conversations with native speakers! Today I took the city-tram to Geneva Old Town to go visit Saint-Peter’s Cathedral and the International Museum of the Reformation. I asked a sweet looking old lady on the bus which stop I should get off. We proceeded to have a real conversation for 10-15 minutes! She even spoke English but we stayed in French because my French was good enough and I told her I’d prefer that. She was so concerned about me – wanted me to really love Switzerland – so she’s invited me over for coffee at her house so she can give me a tour of the Roman Ruins near her house. Wonderful moment. Then at the Museum I spoke with the curator about the reformation! It as exciting to be able to express myself about things besides “I’ve like to order a crepe” or “one ticket to Bellinzona, please”. The reformation quite beats those topics for interest and complexity. Which brings me to the next topic….

School!

Everyone in my program must complete a “culture drop off” which translates to – short report on some issue related to Swiss culture. I have chosen to write about the legacy of John Calvin in Geneva today. Is his message still alive? Where to we see it? How do the actual people of Geneva perceive him, his teachings, and their place in the history of Protestantism. I’m enjoying it thus far! Being raised Lutheran/Prebyterian I already know quite a bit about the Reformation but learning about it in Calvinism’s birthplace is a whole new thing altogether. More later once I actually have my interviews…

The SIT seminar:

The seminars we’ve had with SIT have been often fabulous but also sometimes awful. On the whole I feel that I have learned A LOT – some of it via observing the various biases of our lecturers. I knew precious little about European politics and WOW has this been an education in that! Though the stereotype goes that Americans are ignorant about international affairs, I have personally found that Europeans are fairly ignorant about international affairs that aren’t European. Yes, they are inherently more geopolitically connected with the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.... but I’ve personally found that Euro-centrism is possibly even stronger than American-centrism. In some cases we students have felt that Swiss lecturers have talked down to us as Americans, which is deeply frustrating.

The subjects our “briefings” have covered include a huge range: Geopolitics, International Security, conflict management and peacekeeping, UN humanitarian work (briefings at the UN with UNAIDS, UN High Commission for Human Rights, etc.), European integration, how the EU works/flounders, European trade and economics, US-European trade relations, International political economy, Swiss politics, French politics. It’s fascinating stuff! And given that I had no international relations background…. I have had a lot to learn. Some of the other students have complained that some of the lectures are far too rudimentary. I frankly agree with them given the potential high level of discussion we could have about the same subjects – but this hasn’t negatively affected me as much as other students since I knew so little to begin with.

Travel Buggin!

I am LOVING how centrally located Geneva is. Last weekend I was in Paris, this weekend – tomorrow! – I’m going back to the Alps with a friend. There’s a folk festival in Interlaken called “Interfolken” I mean…. I can’t say no to that! It’s in the German bit of Suisse. Schweiz I should say J. Then next weekend I’m planning to go to Italy! I am very aware that this is an exceptionally special time of my life to be able to pack up and go like this. So many other travel plans to unfold in the coming months…!

For now, a bien tot! Miss you, family and friends. Sorry if I’m not keeping in personal touch as well as I should. I’m quite busy but I love and miss you lots and am very excited to see you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment