Saturday, December 4, 2010

Croatian Limbo

Hey all!

Still in Croatia. Continues to be a bit odd/hilarious since we're pretty much the only tourists in Croatia this time of year and the weather is all over the place. So here are some things on my mid these days:

International Relations/Politics:
The closer I get to coming home to more I realize that I've been in a very unique political environment here. All my peers are interested in international relations and quite well informed- plus I was not just in Europe but Geneve - land of international relations. Coming back to the states may be a little frustrating for me. With all the domestic economic turmoil going on in the US I'm anticipating the news/national political mindset to be very domestically focused. It'll be interesting to see how much I notice that and what sorts of political stories I find myself following.

Food
I miss cheese and chocolate! I also miss all the food my mom makes. There's not much more to say about this really... but Swiss cheeses are unbelievable.

Daddy!
So excited to meet my daddy in FIVE more days in the Istanbul airport! I've never had the chance to travel with just him - and for so long - it's going to be special. Also, the idea of Istanbul has enticed me for years. I love spots on this globe where things either don't make much sense or are a grand conflagration of more than one culture. Turkey in the Middle East? check. Turkey as a candidate to join the EU? check. Turkey in Asia too? check check check. I obviously know it will be completely different from India but I think it will be the closest thing to it that I've seen in a couple years. I'm ready for a little bit of madness and difference. And my daddy there with me! I'm sure traveling with a middle-aged man will make a difference in ways I haven't even realized yet.

My wonderful friends from SIT
I've met some spectacular people here. A few of the goodbyes will be rough. Mostly, of course, I'm glad we met and will thus forever be in each others' lives. Yesterday we went on a program-sponsored trip to two coastal villages and a lunch site... hanging out with the people who count was wonderful. There is honestly a contingent of people I will not miss at all, but why think about them? My friends Danika, Allison and I bought ridiculous ear muffs for 6 dollars.... best souvenir ever. It was cold! And my earmuffs are pandas. SOoooo that's a must-buy situation, clearly.

Christmas
All the other SIT students except one are preparing to go home in a couple of days... I, of course, I'm going to be traveling with my Papa for two weeks but I sort of keep forgetting that we're not on the same schedule. I am SO excited for home and Christmas. I want to accelerate these next few days until I meet my Dad because goodbyes are hard and everyone around me is in such a different place. I'm just way thrilled for Turkey - London - Christmas. And Minor ladies - we'll be dressing up and going to the Sound of Music in downtown Seattle, yes? We'd better!


Love to you all, happy holiday season. I can't wait to get to see you whenever that may be.
~Alice

2 comments:

  1. Yay for new friends!
    Yeah for travels with my Papa!
    Yeah Yay for being home for Christmas!
    Double Yay for Sound of Music Sing-along! We may have to twist Bridget's arm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Favorite Istanbul neighborhood - Beyoglu, over on the Asian side. Of course the area around the Blue Mosque is also pretty amazing. If you have the time, try a side trip to Cappadocia. The landscape is beyond amazing.

    ReplyDelete