Saturday, September 25, 2010

Random thoughts...


I really love Switzerland. I must say, before this trip I knew SO very little about the culture and history of t

his area that I hadn’t even thought about where I’d want to travel here. Now I find myself a month into my program and I haven’t yet left Switzerland I feel like I’ve been to half a dozen worlds. International Geneva, utterly unique and proud Ticino, THE Alps, quiet capitol Bern…. SUCH different mindsets, realities. (on the right is a picture of one of the murals in the Old CIty of Bern)

Me and Switzerland

1) 1. One of my biggest pet-peeves is the sound

of a ticking clock. Switzerland is the home of clocks and watches

2) 2. I love chaos, spontaneity, and the unknown. The Swiss love order, cleanliness, plans, and security

but on the other hand…

3) 3. I love the outdoors and the Swiss cherish and explore the natural beauty they have here

4) 4. I love colliding with cultures and Switzerland is full of cultural diversity – especially Geneva

(below is a picture of the famous clock tower in Bern that has been ticking for over 500 years with a little rooster dancing and squawking every hour)

Random conversation with my friend on the program here:

Me: I’m thin

king about buying myself a Swiss watch for my birthday…

Danika: Yeah? That’s certainly a SWISS souvenir.

Me: Yeah. Except… I don’t really like knowing what time it is.

Danika: Well that’s something to think about, Alice.

I had a very, very special afternoon/evening yesterday. My mom’s godmother, Alice Hauser – who I was named after, was an incredibly important part of her childhood. Alice’s son lives part time in Rolle with his two daughters, which is just ten minutes away from where I’m living right now! Yesterday we met, hung out their apartment, made dinner, and generally had a lovely time. It was quite special to meet them – thanks for connecting us, Mom!

Another pretty view from last weekend nearing the top of Schilthorn!

Tomorrow I am off to Brussels for four days and then Paris for five days! I’m so excited. I’m interested to see how various francophone cultures differ – both in the French language itself and in customs. Will update you all upon my return!

1 comment: